grand sport videos

jas638

Banned
this thread is getting 143.2 hits a day!!!! sick!!!!!!!!! i am finally famous!!!!! lol

whipper

my buddy steve says that the ss comp he has now is harder to drive than the xr 2002 he used to have.
From what I understand the racier they get the easier they are to drive some what with power being equal to lets say 100. Because im sure an XB 2002 to 120mph takes a little more skill than an SS to 114 with a drag. A XB03 to 100 might be harder than a GS to 100 and a SS is easier than a XS03 to 100. Then an XB02 is easier than a SS to 100 and a XR easier still.:big grin:banghead

jas638

Banned
From what I understand the racier they get the easier they are to drive some what with power being equal to lets say 100. Because im sure an XB 2002 to 120mph takes a little more skill than an SS to 114 with a drag. A XB03 to 100 might be harder than a GS to 100 and a SS is easier than a XS03 to 100. Then an XB02 is easier than a SS to 100 and a XR easier still.:big grin:banghead
ok james ,with all that being said . my buddy that i speak of had his xr for a good 15 yrs. and has had his ss for 5 or 6 now. i am only speakin for him of what his opinion was to me. and only of those two hulls.i do feel as you.although i will simplify and say if i can drive a big ole' grand sport i can drive any ally.

jas638

Banned
here is an old post from scream and fly FX10 Superboats
Supporting Vendor

New Sherriff in Town
Great Video Maureen.
Next season , my buddy Steve panico "Crankinstein" should be the new Sherriff in town on the grreat south bay.
He just came back from North Carolina with a new Allison Comp. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. He's putting his original Crankinstein motor(Accurate Marine 2.5 290 HP) on it. Motor turns almost 10,000 RPM. The old Crankinstein (Allison XR2000) did 125 on radar in Florida. This new one is SICK !!!

whipper

Sick is right. Well a SS Comp being CS is going to drive and handel pretty darn unreal also compared to any of them for sure. But an XR 2001 has got to be the cream of the crop to drive really fast im guessing? One day I will find out for my self. What I really need now is a XB21 with a 300XS Simonized with a 15incher as the family fishing play boat and a XR2001 with a 300drag as my personal so ya really want to race me do ya boat!:big grin Pulling the XR with a matching Corvette and the 21 with a what ever.:big grin

jas638

Banned
cheers james:at the bar . i am sorta kickin around the same idea. the gs is the family boat ,the all red ss comp,that i hope to aquire someday would by my let me go home and get my real race boat!!! lol just got to figure a way to hide it from my wife:big grin

suicidealli

they can be a handfull. the older they get the bottoms are not as straight as they were... some boats are tight, and some are loose.. some are in the middle... my drag is easy to just run big numbers. get it locked in and just keep giving it more throttle.. but with a small prop, it is a freakin animal, and it takes all i have to try to keep it under control. my ss was a handful over 106. 110 it was twisted up, just ready to bust your a$$... the drag is locked in i guess i have been 115 or so. it has a lot left, but small steps. i hope to bust 120 anyway.. i figure it should turn a 26 9500 or so..

anyway each hull is a little different!!!!!!

roy

AMERICAN

Heres a quick update on jas638's new JSRE 260 rebuild..... we were out on the Great South Bay yesterday just doing our thing.... when one of thoses new Hydro stream venon with a 280 on it came buy and was breaking balls..... soooooooo we had to appease him ........ well all I have to say is
jas638 ALLISON GS with that JSRE 260 on it smoked that hydro pretty bad ...i think hes still trying to catch up...lol...i know you hydro guys are going to break my balls and I know theres always a faster boat out there BUT not on that day and NOT that venon...lol...Way to go John and Jay..:big grin
Also he was running a Hoss prop...

Attachments

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
the guy in the stream claimed he is runnin 104. he has a recall that proved it. i was way in front of him and pullin away at my gps readin and bouncin at 102 with still more in her. we were runnin in about 1-1 1/2 ft of choppy water. yeah it was crazy but i wasnt lettin him get me. he came back to the dock with all kinds of excuses. one of them was he hit a goose! and his boat is sinkin,the other was he just detuned his motor. told him i got a pump gas motor too.the last excuse was that allison are better in the choppy water,well that might just be the truth! funny chit, all in all great night! this motor comes alive even more at 7500-7800 starts to sound different. i can hear it start makin real power. i think i need to go from 28p to 26p and get my rpms up . i am also dragging the gear case running a 1/2 below the pad. i will start to go one click at a time on the hydrodynamic rapid jack. also i got a 14.5 x27 labbed et to try . i am gonna get 105+ just gonna have to play with set up a bit. anyone have some thoughts ?

whipper

I would talk to Tony & Ziemer. They both have differant setups but both run in that 105-106 range with 26-28 pitchers. Tony used his T3-X and not sure what Ziemer likes I think I heard him say Hoss 28 or ET,s? Guys were at the FassBass event the past days so should start getting home to the puters soon. Zeimers at 8.5 setback and Todds at 12. Both run healthy 260,s. Todds at even with the pad not sure about Zeimer probably right around there also or slightly above like 1/8-1/4. Pretty sure they are also running 14.5 dia props.

Last edited:

whipper

So hears an interesting fact. If Todd's running a 26 with 12 setback and Jeff's running 8 1/2 setback with a 28 Hoss and your at 10 setback since your in the middle of there setups the logical choice would be to try that 27 pitch.:big grin Both are in the 1/8-1/4 above. Todd's motor is a 20 incher and Jeff's is an SS 15incher. Yours is a 20. So all in all if the 28 was to tall for sweet spot in the power band a 27 might be the ticket? If all else fails a good 26 should also get you there. I'm not so sure about ET,s though. I didn't like them that much on mine. Todd's Knob cut has the right amount of lift. Thats a cut of the prop he uses the T3-X sport. Everyone loves the Hoss triton on a GS also. My 26 Off Shore from Steve Smith also has great lift were ya need it. Much like a {Hoss Triton in style}.

Jeff theoretically should require more trim at the same engine hight as Todd's being less setback. But since he uses a bigger wheel and a SS maybe not? Again Todd's setback is 12 your at 10. So since both of you are running 20 inchers Todd's setup would be more relevant to yours. To eliminate use of more trim at less setback than Todd's one more pitch all things being created equal should be the ticket for 104ish on good days. The prop will be the real Key factor I think. A great 27 X 14 1/2 at 1/8 above should get you to top hull speeds as safe as your going to get in my opinion. :confused My 26 Offshore gets me to 90 with my little old 225 Promax with very little effort at high altitude. One of these days ill be in you guys shoes. But if it ain't broke Ill keep running the 225. After that though Ill be rocking a 260 going threw this prosses also.:big grin Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
well put whip. but i should add that i am at 12 now since i went manual. also i have a skid planner on the boat which i think might be hurtin me top end. due to havin to keep the shaft deep. thoughts? i am thinkin about takin it off. only thing is i think it makes the boat handle a little easier. ????

ziemer

Don't know about the planer, I only have the foil on the cavitation plate.

1/2" is definitely way too low if that's where you're at.

If you were running 102 at 7800 and a 26, that's a really stiff 26.

Good luck with it and be safe.

For the record, my 260 is stock, other than a spacer and 34 cc heads...no porting, exhaust chest work, etc. :beer:

whipper

Im not sure how the skid plate would effect higher hights with or without. Mines like Jeffs just the Ally foil and I do really like that on. I wouldnt boat without it again. Things feel so good I dont see the need for a planer.

I also agree that 1/2 should be to high with a stock lip. Lipless thats a differant story. With your power you shouldnt need to go that high from what Ive been told and read..

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
i was runnin a 28
Don't know about the planer, I only have the foil on the cavitation plate.

1/2" is definitely way too low if that's where you're at.

If you were running 102 at 7800 and a 26, that's a really stiff 26.

Good luck with it and be safe.

For the record, my 260 is stock, other than a spacer and 34 cc heads...no porting, exhaust chest work, etc. :beer: