grand sport videos

Jr in Jax

Working on my radio install this week...just ordered the speakers. Hope to have everything by the end of the week...

Mine will be slightly different though...a touch more portable. :wink :beer:
Jeff,
Check out the Sony splashproof that West sells as a head unit, mine is three years old, all my other splashproofs [4] died quickly due to abuse.

Last edited:

Jr in Jax

I am hoping that by reading all of this information on here about how to drive a Grandsport that I will get the courage to go above idle-speed someday.:help

jas638

Banned
I am hoping that by reading all of this information on here about how to drive a Grandsport that I will get the courage to go above idle-speed someday.:help
if you have read all 19 pages of what started as a simple little check out my video thread, you will be doin 97+ with a 225 with still more to go but runnin out of room. lots opinions but seems not much proof to back it up .as far as speeds that some guys say they are runnin. (pics of gps recall). except for me! the guy in the vid. :razz

whipper

if you have read all 19 pages of what started as a simple little check out my video thread, you will be doin 97+ with a 225 with still more to go but runnin out of room. lots opinions but seems not much proof to back it up .as far as speeds that some guys say they are runnin. (pics of gps recall). except for me! the guy in the vid. :razz
JR has run high 90,s in his 225 GS. Then slows a bit and flings her around so shes midair backward for fun!!
Fastest GS ive ever heard of does 112mph and 110mph with 4 aboard. But the motor was a 300PM turnning a 34P drag4.:shock: I wonder were this boat is now??

Last edited:

ziemer

Jeff,
Check out the Sony splashproof that West sells as a head unit, mine is three years old, all my other splashproofs [4] died quickly due to abuse.
JR, check out my pics earlier on in the post...didn't do anything permanent and it uses no head unit. Self powered, self contained amp, and Ipod or phone, or mp3 only. :beer:

Fastest GS ive ever heard of does 112mph and 110mph with 4 aboard. But the motor was a 300PM turnning a 34P drag4.:shock: I wonder were this boat is now??
Key word here is "heard" Not saying he didn't, but 110 with (4) aboard is just plain stupid. (and not in the good way. :shock:)

jas638

Banned
JR has run high 90,s in his 225 GS. Then slows a bit and flings her around so shes midair backward for fun!!
whos boat is that sure looks sweet! just like mine.well i hope thats true!!!! because if it is, then the new jsre 260 i got pushin 340hp should put me at 118 and 115 with 4 on board:big grin hell i maybe can go and even compete with the xr"s at the drags!!!

whipper

You need to add around 200-300 more lbs to do 110-112. I also just found the thread again and it was 105 with 5 aboard not 110 as I though. 110/112 was a two way light run. He now owns a 145-150mph 1800+hp 23fter.:gasp Greg boated in the same waters I do a few years ago. He said the hull was way more stable with wieght in her and ran better at 105 with 5 aboard than 112 with just wieght in the bow. Greg is a stand up guy and extreemly fast boater. He runs one of the fastest HTM,s every produced a while back. I spoke with him and kept in touch for a while. Theres a thread on hear were i asked him to join the site to talk about the setup for the guys because it worked great for him and no one had a setup like this. Im pretty sure that was the fastest GS speeds anyone every saw and heard off that I know. Gregs 300 was a Simonized 300X way over 300HP.:wink

Because of the nature of these hulls even with big powdered heavy motors they are not as safe as with 2.5 power. They can barrel roll omong other things. Your 260 is the perfict power plant in my opinion Jas638. You can hit 105 maybe 106 with seat time and the right prop with that motor!! Todd ran 4 aboard 103 or so at the Allison rally I beleave it was. Lots of witnesses to that run. So for saftey sake I gota say as cool as it may sound that Greg did that with his 300X doesnt mean it will be done again. He had wedges,motor work and bottom work all sorts of things. It would be hard to duplicate unless one had a death wish really. Not saying Greg did but man I dont know if he really knew or cared at the time what could have happened. He resides over on OSO these days. Not even sure if he still has that mean yellow HTM. Hears the link to the thread were he came to the board to talk about His GS. http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=3342

Last edited:

Jr in Jax

whos boat is that sure looks sweet! just like mine.well i hope thats true!!!! because if it is, then the new jsre 260 i got pushin 340hp should put me at 118 and 115 with 4 on board:big grin hell i maybe can go and even compete with the xr"s at the drags!!!
Have you ever been in a GS when the tail lifts? I don't thing that you want to be doing SS/XR type speeds when it happens. I think that Jeff has reached the limitspeed on his, according to Daris. Bad things happen in GSs when they lift, due to their big, fairly light hulls. You can tell when it is trying to lift going into a headwind because it starts to Paddlewheel real bad.
Enjoy your toy!

jas638

Banned
Have you ever been in a GS when the tail lifts? I don't thing that you want to be doing SS/XR type speeds when it happens. I think that Jeff has reached the limitspeed on his, according to Daris. Bad things happen in GSs when they lift, due to their big, fairly light hulls. You can tell when it is trying to lift going into a headwind because it starts to Paddlewheel real bad.
Enjoy your toy!
hey jr, i guess you couldnt tell by my post i was kiddin a bit.maybe even being very slightly sarcastic. didnt you see the smile face. i have been in an xr at 117mph! it was 1991 on a warm august evenin. it was a 88 xr2002 center steer ,center rear. had a brigeport 2.4 mod carb mota, xr6 gear case .30p dont remember what brand. owned by steve panico long island boy. yeah i was in it!!! looked over his shoulder gps digital said 117.2 dont care who on this forum believes me. that boat did 122 on radar by himself. when he first got it it was side steer he could do 109 with it on its side. just talked with him about it the other day. and come to think of it i had no life vest on. crazy things back in my younger days

whipper

i have been in an xr at 117mph! it was 1991 on a warm august evenin. it was a 88 xr2002 that boat did 122 on radar by himself. when he first got it it was side steer he could do 109 with it on its side.
That could be an interesting discussion also. The difference an Allison makes all power being equal side steer vs Center steer for speed?? Ill start a thread right now on that one.

WHAT I just checked and theres accually a sticky on this already! LOL

AMERICAN

Where do you see 3000 hits at?
Go to the beginning of the post it is now 3,077 hits in 20 days and still going....o my...its like the Ever Ready bunny that keeps on going and going...:big grin

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
i should make clear that the 122 on radar the boat was changed to was center steer.

Jr in Jax

There was a well known racer here in Jax that had an XR02 [Keith Barco] that was pulling down some very big numbers about 15+ years ago, so I know they are possible.

There is a lot of difference between a XR02 and an XS03 hull.

jas638

Banned
There was a well known racer here in Jax that had an XR02 [Keith Barco] that was pulling down some very big numbers about 15+ years ago, so I know they are possible.

There is a lot of difference between a XR02 and an XS03 hull.
i agree, never said they were similar. steve would never let any body drive the xr. back in 05' or 06' he sold it to his nephew. probably cause the transom was soft. i think they were wood ? well i got to drive it. first time behind the wheel of an allison ever in my life(in 2006) and got it to 90mph.it was center steer.with a stock 2.4 bridgeport.(i had a 87 valero 2.4 mod vp bout twenty years ago(1991))always wanted too but never did drive an allison way back then (1991). dont know what prop the kid had on it i think the setback and plate were the same. but i will say it was alot easier to drive than a gransport.

Last edited: