John Tger /ss2000 test??

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Lotus- my ss excel was 747# according to the factory. A buddy put his excel on the scale and it was 780ish. Mine was an early one (lighter?).

patches

That's interesting bill. That wouldn't happen to be the one yammer ended up with would it. Missing part of the floor would account for the light weight of his. Is there any way to tell with the HIN who the original owner of a boat is. Be neat to know where all the race SS's are. I know propmanjay has one and K. Kiser has one.

Last edited:

mikesufka

I drove Yammer's boat before he owned it and I could swore it had a full floor in it. I know the boat started out all white and a "comp" version. The red was added later.

With regards to the "Trailer Boat" article and the SS/115 Evinrude combo, that boat was a true center steer, because they had pictures of the interior in the article. The question is, did they ever make a true center steer Excel model? I thought the Excel's were all "four seaters" and had the steering wheel slightly off-centered to the right, so they could be driven "from the side" or the "center", hence the Side/Slide option.

The boat in the article was maybe a "comp" model, thus lighter, and why it went 80 MPH with only 115 HP.

Just guessing, but I would be curious to hear the real scoop.

Mike

suicidealli

mine is a ss gilmores first ss excel. the 98's were lighter from what i have been told. i weighed mine with a 65 lb battery 5gal fuel, 2.5 260 2.4 15" o/s mid, 17 lb fiberglass cowl, cmc 10" hyd jack plate, full interior, small tool bag.... what do you guys think it weighed????????????
i weighed it at jasper this year.

roy

K.Kiser

I'm gonna guess that if one was without a floor, then it was a modification done after it left the factory... I can't remember the last Allison that I've ever seen that was without a floor, it plays a strength role...

John Tiger

My challenge was to John R., who by his post intimates (if not actually comes right out and says) that boat tests (and by direct inference MY boat tests) are bogus, and that if (his words) "you want the REAL info, talk to the owners of the test boats". As if somehow, the owner of the boat, no matter who it is, where the boat is now, what condition it's in, and how it's rigged, can now provide the REAL truth to disprove those awful BS test results!

It's America, and free speech gives him the right to publicly challenge my tests. Fair enough...but my right to free speech also gives me the opportunity to call BS, and call him out.

John R, you seem to have it on authority that my SS2000/115 test is bogus, and therefore the results are bogus, because "you know someone who knows someone who bought the EXACT BOAT that we tested, weighed it, and found it to be 701 lbs, vs. the 800 lbs. listed in the story.

There are an infinite number of "what ifs" that poke large holes in your iron-clad theory that since you know the boat and it's owner, and it weighed 701 in his experience, then we published bad information. Is it the same boat? Do you know for sure? How do you know? Assuming it is (a big assumption), how was it weighed when we tested it vs. when he weighed it? With what equipment? What scale? Was his scale checked for accuracy before he weighed it? By who? What was in the boat when he weighed it vs. when we tested and weighed it?

Normally I just dismiss the kind of crap that keyboard cowboys who endlessly spout off about what "they know to be true" write. You weren't there, you didn't witness the test, you really-in all reality-have no idea what you're spewing about. I feel very comfortable in the knowledge that I WAS there, I conducted the test, I recorded the numbers, and I wrote the story. The numbers are real. If you don't believe them, don't believe them. But if you're going to spew verbal vomit about what you think you know, be prepared to back it with facts that are easily provable.

I guess the good in all this is that 10 years later, these stories are still being discussed. I'm glad for that. The boat we tested did run 76 mph (and then 81+ mph with a taller prop and noseconed gearcase) with a stock Ficht 115 (checked, by the way). I drove it and I recorded the results.

John

SSTOM

My SS is a excel hull # 01 the first one built it. I weighed it at Jasper 2 yrs ago rully rigged with a 20" 2.5 200 carbed bass mid without me in it it weighed 1344. Darris said my hull weighed 850 but I dont know. Tom

badbait

J.T. I don't think J.Rs. post is anything for you to get upset about. I went back and reread it and your response asking for some facts. He gave some saying that he thinks the boat used in the SS2000 test was not 830 lbs as you stated in the article. J.R. said the one tested was a SS2000R now owned by a friend of his out here in Ca. It's very possible that the hull out here isn't the one used for your test. I think you may be ready more into his 2 line post than is really there.
I need to say that over the years I enjoyed reading all your tests and looked forward the getting my B & W Mag. every month and I do miss getting it. I hope you will post here more in the future. Not to many people have tested as many boat as you have.

Scott Gilmore

J.T. I don't think J.Rs. post is anything for you to get upset about. I went back and reread it and your response asking for some facts. He gave some saying that he thinks the boat used in the SS2000 test was not 830 lbs as you stated in the article. J.R. said the one tested was a SS2000R now owned by a friend of his out here in Ca. It's very possible that the hull out here isn't the one used for your test. I think you may be ready more into his 2 line post than is really there.
I need to say that over the years I enjoyed reading all your tests and looked forward the getting my B & W Mag. every month and I do miss getting it. I hope you will post here more in the future. Not to many people have tested as many boat as you have.

Watch & Learn.......................You'll find John R's QUITE the EXPERT on Allison's !!! Scott

Last edited:

Scott Gilmore

That's interesting bill. That wouldn't happen to be the one yammer ended up with would it. Missing part of the floor would account for the light weight of his. Is there any way to tell with the HIN who the original owner of a boat is. Be neat to know where all the race SS's are. I know propmanjay has one and K. Kiser has one.
That boat had a full floor & so has every SS2000 that I've ever seen. I've NEVER heard of an SS2000 without a full floor...........there might be ONE but I seriously doubt it !!! Daryl Miller had built the first or second Race model in 98 (he ordered from Lee Sanderson) that one had a full floor & the exact console the Comp has also. Scott :beer: I'm pretty sure the Vodka & cranberry has taken it's toll on Bill G's memory !!! Scott :big grin:big grin

smokin357

Scott, I am impressed with your memory. My boat came with a center steer, full floor and wieghed in at 640 lbs at the factory with a jack plate, ride guide steering and foot petal on board. We hung a 300 drag on it and had to add some shot bags for balance and to make the 1400 lb limit. But I just don't remember how much. Running the holding rope drags, the boat would ET in the 10 second class, with speeds between 105 to 110. I found it interesting that the year before we ran an XR 2001 river racer and these two boats would ET the same. The only difference was the XR turned in higher mph by 5 to 8 mph. Working with Lee Sanderson those years was a great ride.

Thanks for remembering. :beer: :beer: :at the bar

Derrell

mikesufka

Not that it matters, but can anyone tell me if the SS2000 in the 115 Evinrude test was a "comp" or an "excel"?

MDS