Russ "62mph" P.

mikesufka

Procomp -

I will see Terry tomorrow, but I haven't seen him in years. He never comes up anymore - prefers to idle on the St. Croix in his 40+ ft. Formula. However, I'm good buddies with his brother, Tim. He rolls in a 25 Daytona with twin 300 Promax's. Very fast boat, runs 100+ MPH. I drove it a few weeks ago - very quick for a bigger boat.

MDS

mikesufka

Great pictures Cliffy. As you said, "those were the days.........." !!!!! Great song.

flying07

hope all are well! getting the GS dialed in (aka: learning how to drive it, haha). Boat felt really good Saturday morning, some nice passes in the 80's, then one run felt great, clean water, was going to bump the trim again (still had almost 400 rpm left), but just held her instead as it flew so nice. . . . set it down to an 89.0 on the ole' gps. . . i might figure this allison driving thing out yet!haha

flying07

That's awesome ! See we knew you could do it ! Now you can say "I Drive an Allison Because I Can ". Good for you !
I was going to ask at what point i can say i can drive one of these. . . . i thought i had to hit 90 first . . . soon haha

flying07

Wow, board has been quiet lately! Thought I'd spice it up. . . . well, last night, it finally happened, found the elusive 90mph mark! Weather was great, low 70's, slight ripple on the water, had way too much fuel on board (that 30 gallon was loaded, whoops!), but that 26 chopper felt good, kept bumping trim, got a tad over 7k rpm (has 7200 limiter, so little to go), and after a run of 89.8, then there was a 90.0 and then a 90.6. Boat set down real nice! Still gotta check the GoPro video this weekend. God, they are amazing boats, i still remember the chine walk at 55, washing the sides big time at 62, re-washing them again at 72, finally finding 80 and slowing down flat, then mid, then upper 80's, now 90, wow! Incredible what these Allison boats can do!!! happy, safe, boating all!!90.6 mph.PNG

flying07

I just got a new Drag3 from Performance Propeller and tried it this mourning . I turned it 7400 rpm 93.2 mph on gps ! Did it 5 times to be sure ! What a blast ! Great hole shot , midrange was great too ! It was easy to drive , better than the ET that I have or my Hoss . I need more motor and it's time to raise the motor up a little !there's my input !
Thanks for the info! Always looking for tried and true advice. . . best part of forums!!

flying07

There she is . . . . first 'arm up' was seeing 90.0, then some slow cruising, second 'two arms up' was after 90.6 . . . . i'll figure this allison driving thing out one of these days ;-)

whipper

haha thats a great clip thanks!! Your sure right about Allisons. Its hard for other non hipo boat owners with 225 motors to believe 90+ when there boats with the same power cant do 60. You cant tell someone how to drive an Allison you have to learn it yourself!! In your early posts with your gs I said . Your going to look back and say wow this is so easy what was all the fuss about. haha Because now you wont chine walk if your life depended on it now that you got it!! Just like riding a bike.;) i have a 28 drag3 that hauls the mail also. There a a few real great props and thats one of them. Hoss triton, Hydromotive T3-X, Hydromotive Quad4, Worked ET {not stock!}, Offshores are good but hit and miss, Good old 25 or 27 trophy for a cheep spare when the water has crap in it and ya dont want to risk a money prop or for water sports. I find et props work on a GS with a 260 or 280,s more than with a 225? Thats been my observation and experianced it. Bought a new 28 et and hatted it. worked maybe, but not stock it sucked compared to the other props mentioned. The guys like Ziemer who like them run 100+ and from what i understand is they have just the right amount of lift at over 100 not to flighty like a prop that works for a 225 that needs more lift with the lesser hp,rpm,and speed.

Last edited:

flying07

i will certainly be prop shopping. . . need something faster and to fit a fat shaft. . . . if anyone hears or finds anything, let me know!

flying07

Drag 3 is a flo torque for fat shaft it's a great prop ! Ask whipper !
Love to try one if i could find one at a decent price in great shape. . . .i have a 26 laser II laying around that i used to learn how to drive, good up to 75, then a nice gentle blow out. . . i should get rid of it if anyone wants a cheap spare. . .

flying07

Good to know!! For now, i think i'll run this one for what's rest of the season, and get more seat time above 90. That prop and boat have more rpm in them, i'm still not on the 7200 limiter:) Over winter, it's shopping time!haha . . . although i think a fresh set of Livorsi gauges is calling my name from Santa this year. . . . winters get long in MN!

Last edited:

peteylen

I just hit my best speed of 101mph with a mazco re3, was worried about too much bow lift took a few runs to feel it out but took a set good, yah run out of lake quick at 101. Lol its probly got 3or4 more in it,

flying07

Thanks for writing! Sadly, haven't boated all last week, waiting new bearing carrier and bearings and prop shaft seals, my lower likes to destroy them for some reason. . . but hopefully next weekend! got some runs around 90 week prior, so that was fun . . . more trim and 92 hopefully soon!!

flying07

A little 'fly by' upper 80's . . . . didn't have the room going that direction for 90. . . . did the following pass, but of course they weren't taping!haha

flying07

Finally going to get the lower fixed on this thing! New bearing carrier and seals, then time to hit 92! This thing isn't going into storage until 92 shows on that gps, hope the lakes up here don't freeze first~!