Skidplainer Installation Instructions

hullbilly

Got my foil and skidplaner from allison today. I think Bill mentioned there would be some instructions. Well, I didn't get them and I was planing on installing while I'm off for the holidays.

Could someone scan the instructions and email them to me??? Self explanatory, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

mscreen@gt.rr.com

Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

K.Kiser

Have Your Wife stand by with a Kleenex when tears start to wet the floor under You... Ya know that Your gonna have to take a drill bit to Your hull, right..? lol.

hullbilly

Thanks Ally03!

Hey Kevin - take a look at the drawing. no drilling the hull! I'm sure after seeing how anal I am about my boat, that would be out of the question :)

K.Kiser

Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle, I guess I was remembering a factory planer that I saw a few years ago that used "through bolts" in the hull.... This is good news...

wj225

Did we ever get some documented gains for this installation? I never recalled anyone putting any numbers to the holeshot improvement.

Bill

fishnfireman

i don't have any numbers but I do know that. adding a beveled shim that drops the back edge about 3/4 on an inch over original ....Made a HUGE difference in the holeshot with a 21 prosport and a 3.2 stroker mtr.

hullbilly

I've got to give Bill credit. I got the latest instructions in a totally separate package. These instructions have a few added pieces of information I thought some of you may want to check out.

For a rookie like me, installation is a fairly difficult process. I didn't want to drill new holes in my setback bracket and the instructions specifically mention utilizing the existing holes and bolts. Well, if you use the existing holes (xb2003 with 14.5 inches of total setback from setback plate plus hydraulic jack plate) then the brackets are not long enough and the skidplaner will get into the offset of the transom. I quit for the night, but it's looking like I'll have to trim the front of the skidplate a good bit which will not meet the 1.5 to 2 inches from the pad protocol. Oh yeah, the existing bolts are too short when the skidplainer brackets are added. When I'm done, anybody installing one on a newer xb2003 can give me a shout for tips!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

hullbilly

Woops, might be kinda hard to read that!! Just let me know if you need the instructions and I'll attach them to an email.

wj225

Xsive

I think I saw that post, but I wanted to know if someone put a stopwatch on the actual times.

Bill

ally2dextreme

anybody hook one up to a 2002?
Darris give me one a couple of years ago and it worked great on hole shot.I had issues at around 100 i could never get on it over a 100 becase the front would go sky high and about flip over.Well i finally found out it was my new gearcase from tooters was wacked out...Havnt been in the boat since.It made alot more difference than the one on the motor,alot less tilting to the side on take off

hullbilly

Finished up my installation. Quick summary - I didn't want to drill more holes in my setback bracket, so I drilled the skidplaner brackets to fit the stock hole configuration. That made the brackets a little short which caused the skidplaner to hit the offset in the transom. So, instead of trimming a significant portion of the skidplaner, I opted for building some aluminum spacers to compormise for the shortened brackets. Good thing I opted for the spacers, because the brackets ended up being a little off of level, so I was able to add spacers exactly where needed to meet the instruction specs.

Anyway, here are some pics of the finished product.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigRedAlli

The skid plate alone will take care of the back-wash problem. The flotation will help you sit a little higher at rest.

hullbilly

floatation????? whats the thought behind that??
Hey Timber,

I must admit, the main motivation for my modifications is because I've got the drag racing bug! Being competitive in the 1/4 mile depends a lot on holeshot. In stock form, the 2003 isn't exactly a rocket out of the hole. A skidplate and extra flotation in the rear help to keep the nose down and induce a more straight forward holeshot. You need to be going forward instead of up. Regarding the flotation specifically, imagine the boat rocking back during holeshot. Now think about the resistance of that backward and downward motion against the pressure of extra flotation. Aside from racing, I've got a shortshaft midsection and the skidplate and flotation help with the back wash when coming off plane, which sometimes seems half way up the dang cowling!

The only thing I'm concerned about is running in rough water. I fish on some big lakes down here in Texas and 2 footers are very common with 3's and 4's when it's windy. For my straight fishing trips, I'm considering removing the skidplate and just leaving my brackets.

Anyone have thoughts on the rough water/skidplaner issue?