Skidplainer Installation Instructions

Allyfishing

Hi Bob
Thanks for the reply. I have been drooling over the XB21 2+2 and the one that looks like the 2003 and would love to take a ride in yours. I am very familiar with Raystown since I fished it for many years at the state team tournament when I belonged to a club. If and when I get the opportunity to get back out I will look you up and take you up on the offer. Very generous of you and greatly appreciated. Never saw an Allison on the water there or any other waters in Pa, NY, or NJ for that matter. Rare breed around these parts of the country. If they are even half the boat that I have heard about then they are by far better than any other ones out there. Thanks, Craig:smile

catfish123

Craig.......Just call me anytime at 717-965-7176 if you want to arrange to come up there. I usually take the boat back up to the camper in late March or early April depending on the weather. I look forward to hearing from you.

Bob

Rocket

Ok,,,,, I tested the plate yesterday, and here's what I think........

My Hole shot definatly improved!!! ,,,

,,, at full trim and Aired out,,, It would tend to make her tail skip a little.... So,, I think we are going to cut 1" more off the rearend (it's 16" now) to allow more positive trim as needed...... :gone fishing

Has anybody else put one on an XR2001????????

Allyfishing

I have been following this post because I purchased a foil and brackets from Bill at Allison (first class guy I might add) for my Astro bass boat. I know, I know, what the heck am I doing over here. Well I'm no dummy....you guys know your stuff and if ya want the best ya gotta hang with the best. Besides, I am going to own an Allison one day...that is if we don't go into a depression and the stock market crashes.
Anyway, Bill sent me the ling one cuz my distance from pad to transom is 12" and I have 8" of setback w/JP. I am trying to improve hole shot as well and not interfere with top end. How do you know how much to cut off. I will have to cut of about 3/4" just so my lower doesn't touch the plate. Thanks and don't pick on me too much for being here. Craig :at the bar

Ok,,,,, I tested the plate yesterday, and here's what I think........

My Hole shot definatly improved!!! ,,,

,,, at full trim and Aired out,,, It would tend to make her tail skip a little.... So,, I think we are going to cut 1" more off the rearend (it's 16" now) to allow more positive trim as needed...... :gone fishing

Has anybody else put one on an XR2001????????

Fishforcash

Why would anyone even consider making fun of you? You are trying to get all you can out of what you have. So what if its not an Allison, if you want to go fast you better see what they are doing.

They are doing something right to hold that many speed records.

K.Kiser

I agree, at heart We all like to go fast on the water in whatever will take us there.. Alot of us came into this Family by switching and modifying everything that We could change to be able to go faster, and eventually the only left to change was the hull -lol... Good luck with the Astro, have fun with it...

Allyfishing

Thanks for all the kind words. If anyone else had installed a skid planer I'm all ears as to the do's and don'ts or the little tweaks to get it right. I still need to cut some off the edge near the lower unit cuz I know it will hit on blast off. How much is too much? Thanks for any and all advice and keep up the good work on this site!! Craig :smile

Allyfishing

Well guys....the wife and I got a chance to try out the skidplaner today at the lake. What a difference. Incredible!! It planed off flatter and quicker than without. I can't wait to give it the real test with the Tempest Plus 25P. That's my fastest prop but a dog out of the hole. I had the TXP O/T4 25P on cuz I wanted to check speed and RPM's to have it worked. Allison rocks for coming up with all these innovations to the boating industry. AND, I installed the Mercury scoops on my stock 200 lower and I ran out of JP height. Stayed at 20PSI. I am guessing that I am at around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 below pad. I will have to actually measure for myself. Thanks all for the help! Craig :cool

MCM

I was wondering how you guys keep your motor from hitting the skid plate. I've built a few for different boats but I always had to cut out for the motor. Mabey it's so low the motor goes above it.

Allyfishing

MCM, Go back to the 2nd or 3rd page of this post and check out the pics of one installed. The skid planer plate is not mounted up against the botom of the JP but hung from the JP and suspended below the transom setback and just above the pad, 3" to be exact. the portion of the skid planer plate that extends out toward the lower unit typically stops short of the lower unit and only extends a short distance behind the JP. Make sense? I am no authority on Allisons or these mods or add ons but I have studied every pic I could find on improving holeshot and understand the difference between the Allison skid planer and the hole shot plates that mount directly under the JP. I have seen these whereby they have been notched out in a "V" shape to allow the lower unit to fully tuck under. Here is a link that I believe you are referring to. Hope this helps and please don't be insulted at all by my explanation. I mounted one on my tank of a bass boat an Astro and it did improve my holeshot with no affect on top end. Craig :at the bar

Attachments