Allison SS-2000 - everything about

aeneas

What's a Steckbauer? I googled and found an old post at S&F (by Bill) - a 12" mid with lower... But it did not sound as a SSM..? :confused:

propmanjay

If those white motors keep getting better merkly will have to go back to work! Nils, Seckbauer is a man that takes heavy internals and turns them down to work in the XR6 case. This helps the XR6 sence if was made for 150hp and 300+ can put a hurting to it.

aeneas

If those white motors keep getting better merkly will have to go back to work! Nils, Seckbauer is a man that takes heavy internals and turns them down to work in the XR6 case. This helps the XR6 sence if was made for 150hp and 300+ can put a hurting to it.
Thank you Jay!

About Merc 2.5 and other engines... I think it is awesome that smaller or seemingly smaller engines can run with bigger power. It's a cool statement! :big grin

K.Kiser

What is the problem with a Steckbauer and everyday use? Other than the cost, which is steep.
It has heavier internals, but the case is still the old 115 Mercury case that was later used on the 150 XR-6 engine... The gears are strong, but big power or heavy hitting set-ups still stress the case from what I understand... Unless I was a hard core no cost spared racer, I put a heavy duty bearing carrier in a coned 200 case and never look back... That's the best all-around case for speed and practical usage out there IMO...

John S

I think you will love the SS-200XS combo. Its probably the last effort made to accomodate a boat like an ally, and I loved my XS on my xb2002. While I was lured to the dark side of the 260, partly from peer pressure, the optipopper did about 90% of what I needed. Good luck, and enjoy what is probably the best all around hiperf combo ever created.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Aeneas--
The fastrike series was factory hop-up. Rude had one too. I'm not an omc guy (but have owned a few) and don't know how they got the x-tra hp/rpm. Carb or timing I'm sure. The height was to the moon as was the setback. (14-15 back, alot for an ss). The Fastrike series had 500 listed x-tra rpm @ 6000. They also had a new and funky (at the time) optical timing. Mine ran 6250 with the 30 and 2:1 gears. Do the math. It ran 83 on the gps on many occasions and on 4-5 different lakes. Of coarse I had to run the GPS in another boat to get the 83 and then tranfer it to the ss.---but the gps did read 83 in a ss with a 115.

I'm not sure if a v6 lower would bolt to a Fastrike mid. The old loopers and cross-flows would bolt v6 to v4--I think.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
As for the lower, there were at least to 2 problems. The carrier would walk--someone discussed pinning it. The other was the minuscule propshaft, definitely a weak link.

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Found that ss/115 omc in the archives. It was at the 50th Anniversary. I guess it was not a Rude but a Johnson and was coned...

Attachments

aeneas

I have some photos of the prototype or I should say A prototype from before the boat was actually made. they take pcs from various boats and cut pcs and duct tape them together, very cool testing stuff. The boat was grey primer with a wood frame interior. Looked a bit different than the finished SS product. Cool pix none the less. I'll try to scan them and post them.
*bump*

It would be super interesting to see those pics! :beer:

Found that ss/115 omc in the archives. It was at the 50th Anniversary. I guess it was not a Rude but a Johnson and was coned...
Very nice!

Last edited:

Lotus 50

Ice out today. I missed it as I got home after dark, but my brother has a web cam set up out of the cottage window.

aeneas

Last edited:

propmanjay

That is a very nice looking SS. One thing to think about with the tall fairing is trailering. No matter how carefull you are with tilting the motor you will impast the fairing. I did it on my more than once.