Allison SS-2000 - everything about

aeneas

That is a very nice looking SS. One thing to think about with the tall fairing is trailering. No matter how carefull you are with tilting the motor you will impast the fairing. I did it on my more than once.
I have thought about that. How does one avoid that?

K.Kiser

I have thought about that. How does one avoid that?
I keep my trailer tongue on my vehicle a little low with a step down hitch so that it pivots up a little more clearance for the gearcase... I know where I'm going usually and am aware of what clearance I'll need and that is usually enough... If I'm going somewhere with somewhat steep grades and hills like coming in and out of certain parking lots I'll just trim the engine till My cowl is close to contacting the fairing before leaving my house and go with that...

propmanjay

I use to put a bumper under the cowl and then bungee cord to hold it. I always bumped mine when I was comming to shore and raised the motor to high.

aeneas

I will not need to raise my engine approaching the trailer from the water but when on the trailer would it help to open the fairing and tilt up the engine, just for the pull up to flat ground? Where I live there is a very steep and tricky ramp.

I will have to think about this... I am going to buy a Jeep Wrangler to use as a launch vehicle and I want the car jacked up a bit. :gasp :big grin

By the way: what kind of effect does the race fairing have? Is it aerodynamic? Is it to enhance air flow into the engine? Any speed gains? Cosmetic?

Last edited:

K.Kiser

I guess it supposed to help airflow around the cowl, but I'm gonna guess it's a negligable gain unless someone is really stretching one out for every bit in a long top-end run... I like the way they look, but I'd like to have the lower fairing like the Excel has for most of my boating...

whipper

That Guy there is asking for blowout/ hook...
WOW anybody know this guy? Some one better tell him what hes doing wrong before he kills someone!! Hes very Lucky he didn't hook into one of those boats he ran between or threw out all those unsuspecting passengers!!He was blowing out but what saved him was because he had no clue how to drive his motor was buried enough to withstand that much trim sorta. I'm shocked buy that with 2 persons on board all without life jackets.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

I thought the tall fairing was to deflect the rope over the engine while rope racing. Of course I've never seen a drag race in person, nor have I ever used my tall fairing.

K.Kiser

I thought the tall fairing was to deflect the rope over the engine while rope racing. Of course I've never seen a drag race in person, nor have I ever used my tall fairing.
Very plausible comment, and it seems like I've heard that before but I'd forgotten... I would still be concerned about the rope falling between the fairing and engine cowl though, and especially on rigs with bigger jackplates... Would certainly be just a small step to add a small deflector to the large fairing and it would be barely noticeable..

propmanjay

They are for rope racing, and it is rare to see more than 8" set back on an SS. With mine at 6" and a 15" it was over the motor cowl. With the momentom of the launch it would be very hard to fall between. If it did fall between it sure would jack up your launch. lol

aeneas

I am looking into what kind of covers there are.
- The Allison cover for the SS - any good?
- Is it water proof or just for storage in a garage?
- Is it quilted to protect the gel coat?
- If I trailer the boat - will it withstand the wear (wind)?

What do you guys use?

Does anybody have a cover for the cock pit only so the interior can be covered when the boat is in the water (if I should leave it in for a weekend)?

--------------------------------------
Engine covers? Where do I find them? Preferably for a 2.5 (alien) ss sm...

Lotus 50

I bought a new cover from Allison a couple of years ago. The cost was about the same as having a custom cover made by my local shop.

Used with the pole it is waterproof. The underside is softer to protect the gel.

I would not trailer very far with any cover on.

Wicky

From the John Tiger Hotboat article

Allison SS2000
1994 Mariner 2.5 260
ECU modified, JC modified gearcase, otherwise stock

Performance Propellers 32" chopper cut
119.5 @ 7750
sluggish acceleration
top speed pretty controllable

Mazco chopper cut, 31"
117 @ 8000
good handling
very good mid range

Hoss Triton 28"
115 @ 8500
best acceleration of props tested
top speed handling could not be better

Mazco RE4 26"
109 @ 8800
handling and lift were phenomenal

Mazco RE3 30"
118.5 @ 8200
excellent handling

Mazco offshore cleaver pitch not listed
117.5 @ 7900
acceleration not nearly as good as round ears
"hair raising" handling
source cited...no problem...imo

aeneas

I bought a new cover from Allison a couple of years ago. The cost was about the same as having a custom cover made by my local shop.

Used with the pole it is waterproof. The underside is softer to protect the gel.

I would not trailer very far with any cover on.
Do you have a pic of the cover on the boat?

Thank you! :)

Lotus 50

Sorry, no pictures of the cover on the boat. And no access to the boat short term - it is in the shop with a leaking gearcase.

On Tap

The Allison cover fits perfectly and has a cotton/felt type material sewn on the back side in critical areas of contact. Also, all the straps are in just the right places.

Would be waterproof if using the support pole and treating periodically with waterproofer spray product. I never store mine outside so I can't say for sure.

My recommendation would be to go with the cover from Allison.

And I wouldn't recommend trailering with any cover. You're going to get some wind flap no matter how tight you have it and that will cause gel coat wear.

Attachments

propmanjay

The Allison cover fits perfectly and has a cotton/felt type material sewn on the back side in critical areas of contact. Also, all the straps are in just the right places.

Would be waterproof if using the support pole and treating periodically with waterproofer spray product. I never store mine outside so I can't say for sure.

And I wouldn't recommend trailering with any cover. You're going to get some wind flap no matter how tight you have it and that will cause gel coat wear.
+1 they fit great and look good. I never trailered mine with the cover on.

aeneas

Very nice! I will contact the factory about model (low fairing), color and price.

whipper

Mines the Factory Allison cover looks exactly the same as you guys for the SS as my GS. Mine was on late winter travelled from Leesville South Carolina to Prince george BC Canada 300 miles south of the Alaska boarder. Not a mark!!:big grin That was around a 5000+ mile trip. Snow,rain,everything you could throw at her and arrived really dirty but not a mark. I totaly believe in the Allison covers.:beer: