Anyone serious about a new xr2002? 3 or 4 orders needed!!!

D.Ally

Well i can vouch also 1998 Comp dr ss was nasty to drive 110 + , 2 diffrent xr2002 and felt more confident at higher speeds then the ss , ie I own a XR again ! not an SS

Dave

Lotus 50

Two more questons about SS vs XR. Which is a better rough water boat? Which runs better with 150-200 HP

Doesn't really matter. My SS isn't going anywhere.

biller31

All I can say is I wish I had the money. I'd order one in a heartbeat. Solid Orange baby! With a bunch of VonDutch style pinstriping. My Dream Boat.

patches

SS rides better than the XR but the XR is a more user friendly boat in my opinion. Much easier to get in and out of, easier to drive, and less prone to hooking. The XR2002 really is a great lake boat that will flat fly when pushed. Only v bottom that I can think of that will run the numbers it's capable of is the XR2001

K.Kiser

No better lake boat than a composite XR02, no apologies until a carbon xb02... Like said, the SS will run the chop better than probably any of them until you get into the tournament Ally's...

mitchie

yeah ,its a good boat but ,the wood in it aint gonna last up here by me. so here is how i look at it . 9G plus 15hund to get it to me ,plus hydraulic 1g ,plus converting it to center steer (cost to fill the dash?)equals a boat that will last less than half as long as a new one for less than or about twice as much. not saying the boat isn't mint for what it is ,but in that big beautiful heated climate controlled enviroment is where it is best kept.wood boats dont last ,sorry.if i get a new one or not i really dont care. the worst that can happen is i buy a center steer ss and save money.guess that isnt that bad after all :)
So... Outerlimits, Skater etc. are not gonna last up here? You do realize that foam core breaks down over time... And most of the whalers I have seen weigh 10 million pounds because the foam works as a sponge. Properly built and cared for wood boats will last... Racerx's boat at 1/3 the cost is your best option.

jas638

Banned
So... Outerlimits, Skater etc. are not gonna last up here? You do realize that foam core breaks down over time... And most of the whalers I have seen weigh 10 million pounds because the foam works as a sponge. Properly built and cared for wood boats will last... Racerx's boat at 1/3 the cost is your best option.
most of those skaters late 80's to early 90's are ready for cores. unless kept in dry climate controlled environment. old whalers have open cell foam which does water log. newer whalers and allison uses closed cell foam. does not water log. i agree jeffs boat is a great value.!

p man

No dog in this fight and the idea of a NEW XR02 makes me giggle like a school girl
BUT I will say that I think foam or balsa are only as good as the guy who installed it.
I have seen an XR02 with a bad foam core (it was replaced with balsa :) )
If not sealed foam acts like a sponge and will turn to dust instead of mush... thats the only dif

jas638

Banned
No dog in this fight and the idea of a NEW XR02 makes me giggle like a school girl
BUT I will say that I think foam or balsa are only as good as the guy who installed it.
I have seen an XR02 with a bad foam core (it was replaced with balsa :) )
If not sealed foam acts like a sponge and will turn to dust instead of mush... thats the only dif
2 question ? who told you they use balsa wood??? and what year was the xr 02 with the bad foam core,seeing how they never made them?there were some made with metal transoms not sure if the transom had foam or wood in it.
statement: closed cell foam ,does not act like a sponge.

p man

Not 100% sure of the year... I want to say 88
However just to clarify, it was not repaired at Allison. I was just joking that the area of the pad where the core went bad was replaced with balsa.

RBT

Foam core is weaker than balsa. Balsa has a bad rap, but done right it will NOT rot. Bagged or infused is the only way.

SSTOM

I have a SS it is a hnd full at 110+ also have a 87 XR2002 at 110+ is like its on a string. The SS is great for rougher water and rides great the XR rides great but doesn't handle the bigger stuff like the SS. If I had the $ I would order a new XR but looks like I'll keep my old boats. The XR has had a transom and everthing in the rear replaced by Jack Barsh and is rock solid. I love my SS but I like the XR better IMO its a better looking boat. Tom

Fl Boy in ILL

SSTOM

That's why I just bought an old one from Jack Barsh, completely redone, new transom and will be my colors.

I truely wanted a new one and had the coin, but I didn't want to wait on a maybe that we could get enough orders so this is the direction I went.

Thanks to all that spent their time and effort to MAYBE get Allison to build us some new boats, I feel in my heart that if they were priced a little differently and the weight was more in line with TODAYS standards then we would already have them in production

Rick

jas638

Banned
SSTOM

That's why I just bought an old one from Jack Barsh, completely redone, new transom and will be my colors.

I truely wanted a new one and had the coin, but I didn't want to wait on a maybe that we could get enough orders so this is the direction I went.

Thanks to all that spent their time and effort to MAYBE get Allison to build us some new boats, I feel in my heart that if they were priced a little differently and the weight was more in line with TODAYS standards then we would already have them in production

Rick

there is no question that they will build it. it just cost more for less than 4 orders. i am one,there is a guy from kentucky serious,and you would have been 3. probably could have got a better price. weight is not an issue for me ,for some it is and that is probably the main reason ,so i understand. but we really could have got this done. i just wont be the guy who pays them all that money alone to re-tool the molds unless i get to keep emand that aint gonna happen. then what,everyone after me gets a better price, screw that. maybe i will call jeff :wink

bassracr

there is no question that they will build it. it just cost more for less than 4 orders. i am one,there is a guy from kentucky serious,and you would have been 3. probably could have got a better price. weight is not an issue for me ,for some it is and that is probably the main reason ,so i understand. but we really could have got this done. i just wont be the guy who pays them all that money alone to re-tool the molds unless i get to keep emand that aint gonna happen. then what,everyone after me gets a better price, screw that. maybe i will call jeff :wink
It's a shame they don't just make a run of them . I think if they actually were a few fresh out of the molds in their showroom some folks would dust off their wallets and pull the trigger. If you have two or three orders maybe you could talk to them about a rebate or partial refund when they sell the 4th or 5th one.?

XXXR2001

The problem is, if they really wanted to build them, they'd put the work into the molds and have them ready to go. Instead, they are trying to pass off all the risk to the customer. Not the way to do business imo but that's the way they do it.:sad

ally2dextreme

The problem is, if they really wanted to build them, they'd put the work into the molds and have them ready to go. Instead, they are trying to pass off all the risk to the customer. Not the way to do business imo but that's the way they do it.:sad
You are right,they had no thought of building them so i think its awesome they would go through all the trouble for so little of return just because a few guys want them.I bet you wouldnt find another company willing to do that.

racerx

Mines been lookin so good in the garage but not to good without a motor,so I broke down and bought a ss fishin motor and put on it today,and then off to Bills to hook a few things up and see how it runs,it is spring and the fever is on, and let the 002s rip...

jas638

Banned
You are right,they had no thought of building them so i think its awesome they would go through all the trouble for so little of return just because a few guys want them.I bet you wouldnt find another company willing to do that.
they are not willing to do anything,they wanna make as much as they can. i would pay the extra thousands for an xr02 if i got to cut the molds up after mine came out. just so i would have the only one 2013 and thereafter ever made.:big grin

bassracr

I'm guessing that's why most people go into business... To make money. I doubt if anyone has enough "extra thousands" for Darris to allow someone else to cut up his history making record setting molds. It's easy to knock them for how much they need to get this done . But he is the only one that knows how much it is going to take to get the molds in shape to end up with a product he will put his name on . We all complain From time to time about his pricing. But personally I am very happy that he's still in business . I know I have sent my fair share of money to them over the years And of all the boat companies from the 80s 90s he is one of the very few survivors That you can call up and get a part for your older boat. I have heard when the economy was at its worse ,he put his employees on four day work weeks and even had them doing building maintenance to keep them in a paycheck and keep his long-term craftsmen employed with him. That is the kind of company I don't mind spending a little extra money to support .So at the end of the day it has to make financial sense for him and his company or it ain't gonna happen .