New allison model

RBT

All I am trying to get at is this.

-Allison's are inland boat, and will NEVER approach the strength of the Progressions of the world. Big deal..... a ferrari won't survive the rubicon.
-Don't bash boats built with wood, there is a lot more to this, you should do the research. Properly installed balsa is still the strongest core available.... for our use ( this isn't a plane ) BTW, if you want to do your own research, might I suggest www.vectorply.com and download there lamination schedule software... and see for yourself.
-Darris builds one hell of a boat, a production boat.

That aside, I have also deducted that RA will defend his Allison to his death and use his infinite brain power to throw hurtful insults toward people that have forgotten more than he and his three brain cells could ever hope to know. I never called you ( or anyone else ) dumb, you gave yourself that label, thanks for that.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
This is a good conversation but let's keep it civil, please.

Moderator trying to moderate,

Lou

RedAllison

RBT you won't come around here and and make targeted comments like, "Some of the free thinkers above that aren't 100% brainwashed have it correct." and get away with it simply because you think you can cover it up by calling it a blanket statement. Nor will you make comments like, "The boat vs plane argument is dumb, air and water do not have anything in common, nor can you compare their structures." without being called too the mat by those you directed such comments towards. But I can see in your infinite wisdom and technogeek mind you consider yourself an expert. That's great, I'm glad SOMEONE values your opinion in your life!

If you are at least going to take shots, have the sack to accept the responsibility for it, we're all grown men here... :beer:
RA

RedAllison

lmao, yeah I guess I shoulda considered the group I was talkin about before I made such a statement!!! I adopted my dad's philosophy of when he turned 50, "I may be agein but damned if I'm gonna get any older"...

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

:beer:
RA

RBT

I am NOT and expert, but I do have a fair amount of experiance. Making blanket statments, in jest does not prompmt a go "f" yourself response.

What I think is being educated on something different than what you have and taking it for it value should be considered. There is no foam is better balsa, both have merits... that needed to be exposed here.

K

Kevin from FL

The personal attacks, name calling and some words being posted will not be tolerated on this site. You guys know how this board operates and what is and isn't allowed. If some one makes you mad, PM that person and keep it off the board I've given you guys a little rope to play with as far as the rules go and sure enough, you guys hung yourself

If anyone is unable to respond to a poster without calling him names, insulting him or use offensive language, then don't post here. This board was created to help fellow Allison owners with facts and tips.

We are all grown men here and I would like all of us to act like it. You don't have to walk on egg shells when posting here, just have some respect for the board I created for all of us and the others reading this board.
I do beleive this was once a sticky, I guess it needs to be one again **%%**

JR

Just a note as to inorganic composites vs organic laminates in aircraft and boats.
On the surface [no pun intended] the boat hulls would seem to be a more punishing application with the exception of two factors;
1.The aircraft's flat lift/control surfaces have only "trunk" support [at the fuselage] unlike a boat hull that has support on both sides/front/rear and has "v" shapes.
2. On carrier based aircraft the accel/delcel shock from catapult/cable trapping is like hitting/snagging a submerged cable at 170 knots while dropping your hull from 15' up, to the ground simultaneously. The applications on boats and aircraft are both punishing applications. The high modulus inorganic composites can deflect to relieve the stresses instead of relieving them by cracking. The biggest killer of inorganic composites is UV rays and they have to be well protected.
BTW the desert aircraft graveyard is full of undamaged FA-18 airframes that have reached the end of their useful lives, which is determined by a G-shock meter/recording that stays with the airframe for life.
I have never heard an expert testify that a organic laminate system is as strong as the best inorganic + carbon nanotube composites that are now being used [weight for weight of course]. Weight has to be a factor in the argument or else we would be comparing welded steel structures to laminates.
Now price is a totally different issue where organic would win.
JR

Last edited:

fishnfireman

Only time will tell IF the new longer hull can take the pounding of off shore racing.. I for one think it will!!!!
Is one material better than another for a particular application ????
I think that depends a lot on WHO is doing it..When done right they both have there place.

Looks to me like a lot of this thread comes back to the old FORD VS CHEV debate.

However most of us can do without the 4 letter name calling!!

PS my dads 75 yr old saying should have been --- I may be getting older--but I refuse to grow up !!

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Kev FL--
"We are all grown men." Well, almost---but I've always wanted to be one. In the meantime, I can act like one. Where's my Oscar nomination? Everyone on this board is a lying, cheating, self absorbed, idiot--except of coarse me. Chief Wunderkind. When you type your response/flatulence to this post, please do it on one knee.

RedAllison

Ya know, bein as it's usually ME that's gettin the axe I don't reckon I've ever "seed" a justified ban in progress.

BUT I gotta admit this one time it WAS funny as hell...:LMAO:

:same ole song
RA

hack02

Wood is definately not an outdated material. On the Seebold race boat website, they say their boat hulls are made of plywood, while the cockpit and center section are made of carbon fiber composite and fiberglass.
I enjoy reading different points of view on here, even when they are critical of our favorite boat brand. Keeps it interesting.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
To those offended (particularly KevFl) at my recent post on this thread, sorry about that. As relayed to KevFl in a pm, it was meant as a parody of the attitude "I know everything and everyone else who disagrees is an idiot". Fortunately, that attitude seldom rises on this board. I will refrain from such parodies and/or clearly mark them in the future.

--msethsmile

Yellowallison

Yo mwesemesmemeswemethe ??????

what'n tha heck does yO Name stand fo??

2nd.. KEV spilled a BEER once and got so MAD he BANNED ALLYMAN and ME for bout 12 hours --- so yu can JOIN our POSSE..:big grin :big grin